By Trevor Busch
Recreation facilities were utilized by town residents just over 73 per cent of the time in 2015, while residents of the Municipal District of Taber registered a distant 16 per cent, according to the results of a recent survey by the Town of Taber.
At their March 14 meeting, town council voted unanimously (6-0) to accept as information data regarding recreation facility users. Coun. Laura Ross-Giroux was absent from the meeting.
At their Jan. 11, 2016 meeting, council had directed administration to gather statistics of recreation facility users from various sports user groups for 2015.
The various user groups that utilize town facilities on a regular basis were contacted and asked to provide the following information for 2015:
1) How many members their organization had registered?
2) How many reside in the Town of Taber?
3) How many reside in the M.D. of Taber?
4) How many reside in Barnwell?
5) How many reside in Vauxhall?
6) How many reside in other locations?
According to administration, the majority of the user groups responded to the request. Curling statistics were removed from the data as the Taber Curling Club no longer keeps track of the addresses of their users.
Soccer statistics were also removed, as the Taber and District Soccer Association had no way of splitting out members for town versus M.D. of Taber residents.
Statistical Analysis of Facility Users
1) Aquafun Centre: Town of Taber (690), M.D. of Taber (112), Village of Barnwell (44), Town of Vauxhall (1), Other (44), Total (891).
2) Arena: Town of Taber (279), M.D. of Taber (104), Village of Barnwell (5), Town of Vauxhall (9), Other (47), Total (444).
3) Sportsfields: Town of Taber (136), M.D. of Taber (28), Village of Barnwell (16), Town of Vauxhall (3), Other (0), Total (183).
4) Meeting Rooms: Town of Taber (15), M.D. of Taber (0), Village of Barnwell (1), Town of Vauxhall (0), Other (0), Total (16).
5) Totals: Town of Taber (1,120, or 73.01 per cent), M.D. of Taber (244, or 15.91 per cent), Village of Barnwell (66, or 4.3 per cent), Town of Vauxhall (13, or 0.85 per cent), Other (91, or 5.93 per cent).