By Greg Price
Thanks to the combined efforts of emergency services, a fire downtown at The Health Connection on 48th Avenue on Thursday evening was quickly contained to one room.
Taber Fire Department was called to the fire at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday.
“The fire was based in the main floor in the apartment to the north,” said Steve Munshaw, fire chief for the Taber Fire Department. “Taber Police assisted prior to us getting there and confirmed everyone was evacuated. The fire was contained to the room of origin.”
Munshaw confirmed, one of the firefighters attending to the call had to be transported to the hospital, where he had some exhaustion and collapsed at the beginning of the fire. The firefighter was released the same night with no injuries.
“Everybody got home safe and sound and all the occupants were accounted for and safe,” said Munshaw. “They are staying in town until the area can be cleaned for them which should occur quite quickly. The health centre (was) closed for a day or two until they got their products cleaned and taken care of.”
During the interview with The Times the day after the fire, Munshaw added investigations were still ongoing.
“I can say it was in the kitchen and it was around cooking appliances,” said Munshaw, adding the fire showcased how important it was to have functioning smoke alarms in the area.
“Good smoke detection did help. There were brand new smoke detectors throughout the structure,” said Munshaw.
Munshaw gave a big thank you to the Taber Police Service and dispatch.
“Their quick action got us to the right location, and the fire was contained quickly to one room,” said Munshaw.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.